History of the Alliance Church
The Alliance Church was founded in 1887 and has been a hundred years. Its history is very short comparing to two thousand years of Christianity, as well as five hundred years of correctionalism.
The founder of the Alliance Church was Dr. A. B. Simpsons (1843-1919), who was originally a tradition of Scottish elders, who had been working in the Presbyterian Church of Canada and the United States after his graduation. Then by the influence of the holy movement and the evangelism boom of the period, the view of the mission to the mission of the church have more and more distant from the traditional elders; in 1818, as he decided to re-baptize following of the teachings from the Bible, and finally quited the Presbyterian Church where served for many years, held a sermon meeting, and established of Church (established The Gospel Hall in 1882). However, Dr. Simpsons himself and even the future missionary. Still have the influence of the Presbyterian ritual and the (moderate) reform theology, one of which is characterized by the fact that the missionary will basically adopt the functions and roles of the elders, pastoral and co-workers in the church, is different with the pure congregation of the church.
In addition to the independent preacher. Dr. Simpson is also working with a group of like-minded people to carry out two super-sectarian evangelical ministries: First is to organize a group of enthusiastic pursuit of a deeper spiritual life of Christians, gathering regularly, to promote evangelism and medical work; Second is publishing publications and organizing organizations to promote universal differential ministry. For himself, this is the same purpose of the same movement; let the people of God process the life of Christ in deeper and deeper, so that they are more courageous to bear the long neglected work. The two work above contributed to the two organizations: The Christian Alliance and the Evangelical Missionary Alliance were founded in 1887. In 1887, the two organizations were merged into one (they were originally the same movement) and became the "Christian & Missionary Alliance" (C&MA).
From the 1910s to the 1940s, during this 40 years, were the time when the preacher would actively explore her identity and mission. In the group of knowledge, she will be a doctor of the original by the vision and charisma direct leadership ministry, into to a clear direction and effective organization, can continue the spiritual movement; in ministry development, she wants To coordinate the development of propaganda workshops and thriving local churches, and the relationship with the Christian community in North America; in theology, she will be from the more random convergence of different spiritual movements and movements, and gradually establish their own beliefs and Theological position, which defines the relationship between her and other spiritual movements, so that she will not be overly constrained by the spiritual movements that are in the midst of their continuous development.
After the above period of a long period of instability, after the time of World War II, the C&MA's missionary work once again have developed by leaps and bounds. Especially in the 1950s and 1970s, the Mission would gradually establish a localisation policy, encourage and assist the mission workshops to develop self-taught churches, return church management rights to local believers, and allow local leaders to explore the church and ministry model; And it is strongly enhanced the development of the missionary around the world. In 1975, the C&MA established the Alliance World Fellowship, which marked the new method of cooperation and between the church. The C&MA is no longer just a spiritual movement in North America, but a universal movement.
The C&MA has been trying to maintain her identity as a differential movement (not only the mission organisation), including the creation of a missionary training center (established in 1883, now known as American Academy of Sciences), the creation of publications to send missionaries to the rest of the world. In the 1910s, there were many independent churches in North America that were linked to the C&MA, and many of the churches were established at overseas mission workshops, but at this time C&MA would still have no intention of becoming a formal denomination; She is in the reunion of believers with the flexibility to promote ministry, as well as its spiritual spirit as a spiritual movement, but in fact, the C&MA in 30s has been a real sectarian. Until 1974, the C&MA appears in the official documents, and admitted that she is a sectarian organization. She transited from a differential movement to a pasting sect.
However, each mission members must be concerned about how to maintain the spirit of the original movement in the sectarian organization, especially to concentrate on the evangelism and mission work. The C&MA will be a gospel movement and then a sectarian organisation; in her terms, the Gospel movement is much more important than the sectarian organisation. She must continue to be a gospel movement to be called as the Christian and Missionary Alliance.